Monday, August 13, 2012

The Olympics of Life

Last night most of us watched the Closing Ceremonies for the Olympics - well, I say most of us because I didn't actually watch it. My kids wanted to watch a movie so I snuggled up with them and did that instead. Anyway, back to my real discussion...

I'm not a sports fanatic by any means. The only time I watch sports on television is when the Olympics are on. Why? For me, it's about the world coming together in the name of sportsmanship to see who will reign supreme until the next four year cycle. As a former elite gymnast, I appreciate the dedication, perseverance and determination of the worlds athletes. And who doesn't like to watch their own country compete, pride for their fellow man echoing in their heart?

As I religiously watched the artistic gymnastics competition, both mens and womens, a sense of awe permeated my being. The sport has changed so much since I competed. When you consider what athletes were doing skill-wise in the '70's as compared to now (I competed in the '80's and 90's - I'm not that old!), the sport has come a long way. I'd love to say I have a favorite event to watch, but as I watch the gymnasts tumble, vault and fly around the bars, not to mention leap along a four-inch wide beam - I can't pick one. I am amazed by all of it. What fills me with pride is not only watching what they can do but how they react to the outcome.

In the Olympics, like in life, sometimes you're the athlete collecting the gold at the top of the podium, and sometimes you're the one who didn't even make top five. I was so proud of our Canadian womens gymnastics team because even though they didn't bring home a medal, they were fifth in the world which is the best standing they've had for some time.

Often in life, we get down on ourselves because we didn't get the number one spot, or second, or third. We forget to appreciate how far we've come in a short amount of time. Watching the Olympics, seeing countries participate who were not allowed to before, watching as sports are added to the roster, reminds me of how far we can all go in our lives with a little determination, perseverance and the belief we can do anything.

Now that the Olympics are over, let's not forget that spirit of togetherness that for two weeks brought the world together to witness the best the world had to offer. As the highs and lows of life reach us, let's remember to be grateful for those who coach us along in life - our friends, our family, our fellow writers, our publishers, our readers - and give thanks for another day to give it our best shot.

And because today is my birthday, I want to give everyone a treat! I will give away a paperback of REBOUND to one lucky commenter (Canada and the US. If you're from overseas, I'll let you choose another ecopy.)
REBOUND is Book 1 of the Love and Balance series based around my love of the sport of gymnastics. Book 2, The Perfect Score is available now as well, and I'm revealing the cover for Tumbling Hearts which will be Book 3 available this fall. I also have a new sweet, paranormal romantic short story that just came out LOST IN HER MIND. I'll also give away a pdf copy of that to a lucky commenter! So TWO prizes and I'll pick a winner at the end of the week :)

Visit with me at: www.kelliekamryn.com


15 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Kellie! And that's a fantastic message to have - even if we mess up, we can get back on that balance beam and try again. It's not the end of the world.

    I was more interested in the Olympics this year than in any other year, but I'm not sure why. I've always loved watching the gymnastics competition. And diving, but never managed to catch more than a few minutes of that.

    I'm pretty sure I have REBOUND already, so don't list me in that one. Won't say no to the new short, though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I watched more of this Olympics than any other in a while. Maybe it was London as I've always wanted to visit and am planning to go there. Or maybe it was the kids enthusiasm too and the fact they wanted to see various sports and got really into it. I enjoyed it but regular TV, even though I don't watch a lot, will be nice to get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to DVR most of the Olympics this year because I was with my mom, first at the hospital, then with her at home. We did watch every night, but I missed a few events due to being in the cafeteria or helping Mom. I'm now watching the FULL gymnastics competition, and able to fast-forward through the parts already seen:)

    And I would LOVE to have a paperback of Rebound, to show you off on my 'traveling bookshelf':) Or, put me in the drawing for Tumbling Hearts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tumbling Hearts isn't out yet, Molly. I'll be drawing for Rebound and Lost In Her Mind. Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope your Mom is on the mend! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to watch some of the Olympics, though it seemed every time I watched it was the same sports. I didn't mind. I enjoy watching the gymnastics and swimming. Would like to have seen the fencing and martial arts. I admired the dedication involved to train for their sports. Don't know if I have that in me.
    Happy Birthday!
    And, I would appreciate being tossed in the hat for a chance on your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will absolutely put you in for the draw, Cindy! The only gymnastics I missed was the womens finals :( but I certainly saw the results on the internet and TV! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! I didn't keep up with the Olympics, but one of my daughters did. She let me know when the gymnastics and swimming were on. I saw some of other competitions, but just in passing. I enjoyed the message of your post.
    Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Andrea! We watched swimming as well, and saw Judo, soccer, horse jumping (although I know it's called something else) and diving... The kids would complain about me wanting to see what was on the Olympics and then when I'd go to change it, they'd yell, "NO wait! We're watching that!"

      Delete
  7. Like most everyone, I watched the Olympics, awed by the fantastic feats of the gymnasts, the swimmers and divers and the runners--all of the events, actually. When the 'country team' rivalry gets too strong, I have to remember what the 'orginal' Olympics were like. As I understand it, they emphasized the individual. Wars were halted (maybe truce declared :) during that period so that men who could, could compete. I doubt that kind of non-partisanship could be managed today, but in these last ones, I did like seeing competitors on opposing teams congratulating each other.

    Excellent post, Kellie. I know I wished you Happy Birthday before, but I hope you had a terrific day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree about the team rivalry thing. I have to admit when I heard about athletes being sent home for tweeting racist remarks about athletes from other countries, I was happy it didn't go unnoticed. It totally undermined the spirit of the games. Thanks for the b-day wishes, Barb, and for commenting :)

      Delete
  8. Belated happy Birthday Kellie. I enjoyed the Olympics and luckily I have 2 DVR's so was able to watch a good bit of it. Kudos to the athletes who showed integrity and their hard work. The opening and closing ceremonies were done so well, and I have watched them a few times. Rio will have to GO BIG, but we know they will as it will be colorful and probably a lot of skin, lol.
    Have a great day and a great year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that will be great in Rio! Thanks for stopping by Xavier!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful post, Kellie and Happy Birthday again. I loved the Olympics this year. All of it...and I loved watching the gymnastics team slowly come around to near friendships with the other teams. At the start they may have nodded a head or two, but by the end of the competitions they were hugging and thumbs upping one another, even if they couldn't communicate in their language. As much as I loved seeing the US team win, it always broke my heart to see the Russian women's team so devastated. Makes you wonder what was waiting for them at home if they didn't bring home a gold.

    Speaking of bringing home the gold...Kellie, you are doing a fabulous job of getting your own books the golden recognition they deserve. You really have been a busy girl and I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks, Lori. Your support means a lot to me. And yeah, I wonder what it's like training in other countries. I only know what goes on here in Canada. That's what I love about the Games - seeing all the countries come together in the name of sportsmanship. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. My winners are Xavier and Molly! Congrats and thanks to everyone for joining me for my birthday week celebration!

    ReplyDelete