Sunday, February 13, 2011

Are Romances still Romances??

For years, literally, I have read romances, since I was around fifteen or so. The first book I picked up was Judith McNaught’s, Whitney My Love. That book was loaded with emotion. I keenly felt every fear that Whit had when she thought her first love, Paul, would not see her as a grown woman, one that he might love forever. I also felt the joy whenever Whit emerged in Paris society and took them by storm. Even the instant attraction and interest that Whit felt for Clayton sang through my veins just as Judith expressed it did for Whit. Every word of that book was poured over intricately, even now when I do a re-read I still take my time with it. But not for the love scenes, although I will admit they were nice and very well explained J, not even for the humor, I took my time because of the complex emotions that seemed to SING between Whit and Clayton. I can’t tell you how many times I have re-read that book for that reason alone, that unexplainable SOMETHING that happens between those two characters.


In the past five years or so I’ve noticed that some of the books labeled romances aren’t really romances at all, they are more like sexual manuals, books that show everyone just how many times two characters can do everything to each other in every position known to man. That particular SOMETHING is gone. Now, I will admit that I’m no PRUDE. I enjoy sensual, high intensity, and high tension romances. I also enjoy writing them, but that is a totally different thing than what I’m seeing. The books that I love to read, and write, are satisfying (hopefully) on an emotional level, one that also makes the reader foam at the mouth to see something of value between the H/H. I want those scenes that caused my heart to stop, or the ones that caused me to sigh with pleasure, or even the ones that caused my fingertips to tingle as I read.


Remembering the scenes between Clayton and Whit, there are quite a few memorable ones, but some of them that stand out as pure chemistry are, the chess game at his country estate whenever Whit thinks he is nothing but a country gentleman who finds her attractive, another is the scene at Whit’s father’s house when Clay teaches her how to cheat at cards. There is a sweetness, a vulnerability between these two characters that resonates to the reader, and at that moment we catch the ‘real’ quality of the story. And just in case you missed the EMOTIONAL quality that I told you about, the guilt that Clay felt when he hurt Whit, and the feelings that he speaks with in the wedding toast will be enough to remind you that this is truly a classic novel.


It isn’t the love scenes, it isn’t the secondary characters, neither is it the historical quality of the book…it’s the EMOTION of the story, the part that reaches out and grabs you, the part that makes you re-read a story that is almost over thirty years old! That is what I find intoxicating about WHITNEY MY LOVE.


Have any of you noticed this trend that I’m speaking of? Are you also missing the true quality of what is supposed to be a romance novel? What are some of your classic favorites?


HUGS
Trish aka wackycajun

13 comments:

  1. Trish,

    Whitney My Love was one of my favorite books and still is. You're so right about the emotional connection missing from romance books today, at least the ones I've read recently. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed them, but it wasn't the same as the ones I read as a teenager. They were more about the emotional connection between the characters than the sexual connection.

    You fell in love with the characters as you got to know them and experience what they did, to the point you wanted to read the book again right after you finished it. They made you dream about your hero for weeks after and sigh in the middle of science class...okay maybe that was just me.

    Awesome post, Trish! Something for us to remember when we're writing our own stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elke, you've added more to my explanation than I was able to, thank you!

    And you are absolutely right, the emotional connection is what was missing from most of the newer books I'm reading these days.

    And you weren't the only one dreaming of Clay or any other hero, in science class!! :)

    HUGS
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Trish!

    I havent' read WHITNEY MY LOVE, but you and Elke make me want to. I must agree that back in 'the day', when the more sensual books weren't written, we saw a different kind of emotional connection. Thanks for making us think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I do like a good explicit romance. However, I have read many good romances one by Debbie Macomber that was a page turner and it was all about the emotional connection between the characters. I just finished Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn, and that book made me laugh, cry, and sigh throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you. Whitney, My Love was one of the first romance novels I read (not the first, but I would say probably one of the first ten I read).

    I love books where you can feel what the character feels and there is a deeper emotionall connection. That is why author's like Julia Quinn, Eloisa James and Lisa Kleypas are my current favorite authors, because I feel like they can capture that emotioanl connection that makes the characters grow and change throughout the novel.

    Like Kellie said, if a book can make me laugh, cry or even sigh, then I know it is good book because I got emotionally involved with the characters myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellant post, Trish! Wonderful observations from all you, Angels, too! I agree with all of you. When a book tugs at all my emotions, I keep going back to read it several times. When the characters' emotions dive deep, I find myself aching when they hurt and celebrating when they overcome their obstacles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to add Julia Quinn to my list of authors. I did enjoy her session at RWA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Yes, I want a book/story I can fall in love with -- with the characters, with the road they must take to get together. I want to cry with them, laugh with them.........OK, yes, I do love a hot sex scene. But I want to already love the characters when they get dirty;)
    Again, great post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elke, you should definitely add Julia to your autobuy list, WHEN HE WAS WICKED and THE SECRET DIARY OF MIRANDA CHEEVER are both really good books with lots of emotion and high sexual tension, good buildup.

    Kellie, I have read a few Debbie M books but I rather her made for TV Hallmark movies better. I think that DIANA PALMER has really good books and she can do the NO SEX BOOKS better than anyone else, she can actually keep my interest when sometimes I know that there will be no sex.

    I'm like JENN though, I do like my sexy bits in a book that I'm reading but they also have to mean something to me.

    Barb, you should read WHITNEY, it is considered a classic and one of a handful of books that ever received a 5 rating from ROMANTIC TIMES MAGAZINE.

    Thanks JD and Kasey!

    HUGS
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cut my teeth on Kathleen Woodiwiss historicals. Good stuff. I definitely dreamed of Ruark Deverell Beauchamp (yes...really!) Lisa Kleypas...Blue Eyed Devil...Sugar Daddy. *Sigh*

    I gotta have the emotion or it loses me.
    Great Post DIL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have only read ONE Kathleen W. book and I can't even remember which one it was, will have to go back and check that out!

    LOVED Blue Eyed Devil, and really, anything that Lisa writes!

    Thanks MIL
    :)

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trish - I have read of couple of Kathleen W's books, but The Flame and the Flower is one of my faovorites. Probably cause I read it not long after I started reading romances in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Think Ruark was in Shanna. Lots of action in those days.

    ReplyDelete