Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ah, such a hard decision.......

So since I'm trying to save money and edit and write more, I've decided to slow down on my book/kindle purchases. In lieu of that I've had time to go through my bookshelves and pick out books to re-read. The only problem is......which one do I want to start first? God, there are so MANY! But here are a few recent choices I had to choose from........

You've got the eternal alpha bad boy. He's totally hot, with changeable hair and eyes. He's all hard, sharp angles, distrustful of most everyone, doesn't want to be bothered with bull shit, or any other nonsense, for that matter. He can play the guitar, and he can SING.......Nickelback at that! And he's sarcastic enough to cause laugh out loud moments when you're in public. Then you get the raised eyebrow look from everyone in a fifteen foot radius. Of course I'm talking about ARCHERON.

My other selection brought me to historical England. To a Duke, a member of the peerage and ultimately, doing his very best to make sure that NOTHING causes one little blemish on his impeccable image. He's cold, arrogant, and toes the line, literally. Doesn't that just make you want to watch him get shoved, HARD, into a little scandal? Like falling in love with someone totally not suited for him? Because you and I both know that his headlong snap into Love will cause me, the reader, to fall headlong also. I'm talking about SARAH MACLEAN'S recent conclusion in her Love by numbers series, ELEVEN SCANDALS. Her hero is HOT in a way that will make you wish YOU were the one doing the prodding!

Now we have the super hot, SUPER HOT, novella, I WISH by Lisa Kleypas (a rita award winning novella ladies). The story is scorchingly searing in its intensity whenever the herione finally gets her man where she wants him. Have I mentioned how HOT this one is? Just thought I would reiterate. The hero was (in the past) an inveterate slob, drinking, smoking, gambling, looking worse for the wear, but suddenly he has to change, and change he does. Now with all that drinking bloat gone, his eyes shine with health, and the myriad things he wants to do with our little herione. With his tall, devilish good looks, pinchent for spitting out less than suitable remarks, causing our herione's face to blush, and enough charm to slip the bloomers off of any woman, he's set to get his heart caught in the herione's trap. But in the end they both get caught, rather explicitly!

I didn't have any problem picking which one I wanted to read...I chose them all! And of course lingered over the really good parts!

So my question is ladies, when you are hard pressed for a good read, what are YOUR fail safe choices? Choices that also tend to fire the imagination and get you geared up to write that one scene that has been holding out on you.....

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh, good topic!
    I love ONE NIGHT WITH A PRINCE by Sabrina Jeffries. And really, that entire series (of 3) is good -- but ONE NIGHT.... is my favorite. If I'm looking for something erotic, I pick up a PJ Mellor or Emma Holly book. And my new favorite novella is HEARTS IN DARKNESS by Laura Kaye. You guys should try that one if you have a couple $$ to spend on books. It's welllll worth it!
    Thanks for the great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Trish! I sooooo love Acheron too! I'll listen to it on my Ipod or read it or both...LOVE THAT BOOK! Oh, and The Masquerade by Brenda Joyce is a favorite too. It's part of the de Warenne Dynasty Series. The whole series is a great read over and over again. When I read erotica, I also enjoy Elizabeth Amber's The Lord of Satyr Series. She does an amazing job with writing these very hot erotic historical paranormal stories. I can read all of hers several times as well.

    Jen, I haven't read Laura Kaye or Emma Holly yet. I'll definitely have to check them out as well.

    Thanks again, Trish, for a wonderful topic!

    HUGS,
    JD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Jenn said good topic. I just came back from RWA, so I have a mountain of books to read. At the moment I'm trying to read more romantic suspense, but I'm a sucker for historicals. I could read those and nothing else.

    I about to start Leigh Michael's ONLY ONE SEASON IN LONDON, but for re-reads...anything Amanda Quick or Johanna Lindsey for me. Oh, can't forget Emma Wildes, she's fantastic if you like erotic historical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, the Laura Kaye book sounds like something I need to study! LOL, or basically any erotic short at the moment! Thanks for the suggestion!

    JD, thanks for reminding me of BRENDA JOYCE! She writes amazingly well. I think AFTER INNOCENCE is probably my fav of hers.

    Elke, I like Emma Wilde. I had bought her recent historical series and enjoyed them very much. And I like OLDER Johanna Lindsey.

    HUGS
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Jenn, NO MORE SUGGESTIONS FROM YOU!!!!LMAO!!!

    The Laura Kaye book sounded way too good, so I bought it! Will definitely share my thoughts when I get the chance to read it.

    Trish, (who is NOT buying books anytime soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I finished the book by LAURA KAYE and OMG....I couldn't stop reading it! Simply amazing that she packed in that much emotion, heat, sensual moments in such a small compacted storyline! And the hero...WHEW!!!!!!! It was kinda weird at first, him being so different from what you usually have as a hero in a romance, but OMFG....I just can't get over how hot he was!

    Thanks JENN for a WONDERFUL suggestion!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo Davis's Firefighters of Station Five I've re-read. I also love anything by Eloisa James or Julie Anne Long, and Julie James. Rafe's Redemption, I've flipped through more than once. The thing is - I've got many good books and I go back to a good one time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh great post, daughter in law! Lisa Kleypas Blue Eyed Devil and anything by Catherine Anderson...I sooo want to meet that lady. Linda Lael Miller's cowboys are also quite nice, Mckettricks or their cousins, it doesn't matter, I love them all! Fantastic post, Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lori,

    I LOVE me some Hardy Cates, and devour anything with Lisa's name on it, regardless of genre.

    And I LOVE Catherine Anderson too. Such amazing hero's that she writes, tender but strong.

    HUGS
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, now I've got to go read Archeron.
    (Pause to wipe drool off face)

    Thanks for the recommendations, Trish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG.....yes Cecily, you so need to. And I've heard on FB that Sherrilyn's dark hunter series is being optioned for a TV series...if we're lucky it will be with someone like HBO or STARZ, can't imagine them curtailing all that heat and sexuality with mere ratings!

    The first part of the the book of ARCHERON might be hard to get through, but I promise that second half is amazing!

    HUGS
    Trish

    ReplyDelete